Distracted Driving Accidents
Many cases that are brought to a personal injury attorney involve traffic accidents. There is an unfortunate new trend today for many auto accidents to be caused by distracted driving. Distracted driving accidents can happen when the driver is paying attention to anything other than the road ahead and their driving skills.
What Causes Distraction While Driving?
Distractions are very commonplace today. Many younger drivers believe they can multi-task while at the wheel, which can quickly become a hazard. Other problems include the following activities:
- Using a cell phone. Talking, viewing the screen to see who is calling or dialing out all take attention away from the road ahead.
- Text messaging while driving. In the few moments it takes to type in a message or to read one, a vehicle can travel the length of a football field. The actual act of using the fingers to type a text or computer message does require brain attention that should be focused on driving.
- Other passengers in the vehicle can distract a driver. Young children who are acting up, fighting, crying or screaming can be very distracting, especially if they’re moving in the car or not strapped in according to Pennsylvania’s car seat laws. Teen drivers with friends in their vehicle may also divert attention to friends rather than driving.
- Fatigue is a factor for many drivers. It is amazing how quickly a short blink can turn into sleep if the driver is overtired. At highway speeds, this can be a fatal mistake. Truck drivers and those who are traveling long distances are at higher risk for falling asleep at the wheel.
- Animals that ride in the front seat or even in the lap of a driver can become a distraction also. They might hinder reaction time or the ability to use the wheel properly for steering for just the few seconds it takes to become involved in an accident. Animals riding in a vehicle should be restrained or in a crate to avoid this problem.
- Music or changing CDs can be a distraction to a driver. There is some emotional involvement with music at times that can be distracting. Searching to find music or a particular CD can also cause the driver to pay less attention to the road ahead.
What Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Do for Accident Victims?
The right person to call upon when you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a distracted driving accident is your personal injury lawyer. Distracted driving is a negligent action, and if that driver gets into a crash that injures or kills another person, victims can seek compensation for damages. Your attorney will do many things for you, including:
- Help you determine the right legal course of action to take.
- Investigate the accident to determine cause.
- Be your legal representative in all accident matters; stand up for your rights.
- Consultation with expert witnesses as needed.
- Negotiate settlements or appear in the courtroom.
Most personal injury attorneys will accept accident cases on a contingent fee basis, so no fees are charged until your case is won.
Accident Damage Claims
If you are injured in a vehicle accident, you may suffer bodily harm, from minor injuries to death. You could be left temporarily or permanently disabled and unable to work. There may also be related property damage to your vehicle or other property. Your personal injury lawyer can help you recover compensation for lost wages and other expenses. Medical treatment, hospitalization, rehabilitation and special equipment are just some expenses you may have following a distracted driving accident.
Other claims can be made to compensate for loss of income, disability, loss of companionship and pain and suffering. If someone is killed in the accident, their survivors can seek compensation for other losses, such as guardianship and future inheritance losses. Expert witnesses can be brought in to support your claims with detailed calculations.
Perhaps you have seen the impact such accidents have had on friends of yours. There is provision within the law to seek compensation for many expenses and accident costs. It is highly recommended to consult with an attorney when there has been an injury accident. Distracted driving accidents cause unnecessary pain and suffering for many people every day across the country. If everyone understands the problems distracted driving can cause, the accident rate may be reduced and roads become safer for all. You should not suffer and bear the costs for recovery because someone else was careless, thoughtless and negligent in their driving behavior. Call now for your consultation.
Photo By mrJasonWeaver