Pennsylvania Motorized Bike and Scooter Laws

Pennsylvania Motorized Bike and Scooter Laws

Pennsylvania Motorized Bike and Scooter Laws

Many Pennsylvanians use motorized bikes or scooters as their primary methods of transportation. However, simply because these individuals do not use motor vehicles does not mean that traffic laws do not apply to them. In fact, different laws apply depending on the type of motorbike or scooter that is used.

Electric bicycles are a popular choice among Pennsylvanians. Electric bicycles, or e-bikes for short, are motorized bicycles that have motors smaller than 750 watts. Additionally, these e-bikes cannot travel faster than 20 miles per hour. Although a license is not required to operate an e-bike, drivers must be at least 16 years of age.

Mopeds are different from e-bikes. To be labeled a moped, the bike must have a motor and pedals that propel it. The motor must be smaller than 50 CC and is limited to 5 brake horsepower. Mopeds also may not exceed 25 miles per hour and must have automatic transmissions.

To operate a moped on a public road, Pennsylvania requires drivers to have a Class C driver’s license. Moped owners must also register their mopeds for a $9 fee. Once a moped is registered, an owner will receive a special license plate that is affixed to the moped.

Pennsylvania defines scooters as “motor-driven cycles.” Scooters must have no more than 5 brake horsepower. Though similar, one major difference between scooters and mopeds is that scooters must be inspected. To pass inspection, the scooter must have the proper equipment, such as lights, signals, and so on.

A Class M driver’s license is required to use a motor-driven cycle. If the license notes an “8” restriction, the motor must be no larger than 50 CCs. Otherwise, it will be classified as a motorcycle.

Pennsylvania law also requires that operators of motor-driven cycles wear eye protection. Those under 21 years of age must also wear a helmet.

What Happens if I Am Involved in a Motorized Bike or Scooter Accident in Pennsylvania?

If you are injured in a motorized bike or scooter accident in Pennsylvania, you may be entitled to compensation in a personal injury lawsuit. Once you have sought initial treatment for your injuries (which you should do as soon as possible after your accident), you should schedule a consultation with an experienced Pennsylvania motorcycle accident attorney. These attorneys are experienced in the laws that impacts motorcycles, e-bikes, scooters, mopeds, and similar vehicles.

If you are able to file a personal injury lawsuit, you may be able to claim several different types of damages in your accident claim, including:

  • Medical expenses, including the cost of future medical care
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium

Other types of damages may also be available, depending on the circumstances of the case.

Pennsylvania personal injury and motor vehicle insurance laws are complex and require the assistance of a skilled attorney to ensure your legal rights are protected. Without an attorney on your side, you may unknowingly settle your claim for far less than it is actually worth.

Defenses Raised in an Accident Claim

Even if you are not at fault for your accident, the opposing party and insurance company will try to assign some responsibility to you. For example, they may argue that you should have had on a helmet or that you were not obeying traffic laws. These defenses may potentially cost you thousands of dollars in compensation.

Therefore, it is essential to discuss your legal options with an experienced Pennsylvania personal injury attorney so that you are not wrongfully assigned any blame for your accident.

Call Solnick & Associates, LLC Today to Schedule a Free Consultation

At Solnick & Associates, our personal injury attorneys are experienced in all types of Pennsylvania accident claims, including those that involve mopeds, e-bikes, scooters, and motorcycles. We serve Jenkintown, Pennsylvania and its surrounding areas. To schedule a free consultation, call (215) 481-9979 today.