Motorcycle Accidents in Pennsylvania

14224903701_78c9dcff30

In addition to needing a specialized license, wearing a helmet, and satisfying inspection requirements, motorcyclists have heightened responsibilities on the road. As the weather relaxes into fall, changed road and weather conditions can increase the amount of motorcycle accidents on Pennsylvania roads. Just last month a motorcyclist and vehicle collided in Franconia Township, leaving the motorcyclist with injuries. According to the driver of the vehicle, the driver could not see the motorcyclist because it was behind a truck. Visibility is a key safety concern with motorcyclists, bicyclists, moped riders, and pedestrians in particular.

Weather Conditions and Motorcycles

People utilizing these modes of transportation do not have the luxury of airbags, footbrakes, or being surrounded by a protective vehicle, making accidents more likely to be catastrophic. It can be difficult for other drivers to see people riding in these smaller vehicles, especially in rain or other similar conditions. Therefore, drivers of larger vehicles should always be on the lookout for smaller vehicles, and motorcyclists should take extra precautions when driving on busy city streets.

According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, an overwhelming majority of motorcycle accidents (77%) occur in non-adverse conditions. This is likely due to an increased number of motorcycle riders in clear, sunny, dry days. However, the remaining 23% of crashes do occur when there is water, snow, ice, or other conditions present on the ground. Adverse weather accidents make up 17% of the deaths of motorcyclists in Pennsylvania. Additionally, though there are more accidents during the day, additional precautions can help minimize accidents that take place after night fall.

Motorcycle Safety in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania legislators have taken precautions when it comes to motorcycle riders, requiring all motorcyclists to wear helmets. Protective eyewear of any type is also required by state law. These regulations are stricter than most states, but with good reason. Though there is no requirement to wear protective gear on the body, many motorcyclists would find this increases their chances of safety and survival in the event of a crash. Road rash is a common motorcycle crash injury, which can be significantly minimized by wearing thick, padded clothing. Covering the body can minimize exposure to rocks, asphalt, or debris from a collision and can lessen the impact on the body regarding breaks, fractures, or spinal cord injuries.

Motorcycle Accidents in Pennsylvania

If you or anyone you know has been involved in a motorcycle accident, please do not hesitate to contact Solnick & Associates LLC to learn about your legal rights. If you suffered injury or had a loved one die as a result of a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation to cover medical expenses, funeral expenses, or pain and suffering. Motorcycles are fun modes of transportation, but they can be dangerous when other drivers are not paying attention to their surroundings or during times of adverse weather conditions. Our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys are here to guide you through the legal process to ensure you are entitled the compensation you deserve as a result of your accident.

Photo Credit: Tortured Mind Photography via Compfight cc